Philabundance To Raise 30,000 Meals In 30 Ways In 30 Days
Philadelphia, PA – August 25 – September is Hunger Action Month, and to help feed those in need, Philabundance is launching a fundraiser and food drive to raise 30,000 meals during the 30 days of September for its hungry neighbors in the Delaware Valley.
Hunger Action Month is a movement to rally the public to raise awareness, to take action and to raise food and funds to fight hunger. Hunger Action Month was created by Feeding America, the national network of food banks across the United States, which reports that one in six Americans face hunger. In our area, 750,000 individuals are food insecure.
One of those individuals is a single mother who attends a Philabundance member agency in Montgomery County. “If it weren’t for places like this, a lot of people would starve. I wouldn’t have made it without this place in our community.”
To help people like her, and other Delaware Valley residents facing hunger, Philabundance is asking the public to download its “30 Ways in 30 Days” calendar and take action to help fight hunger in our area. Suggested actions include:
- Organizing a food drive
- Texting ‘FOOD’ to 41010 to donate $10
- Following Philabundance on social media
- Reading client stories on the Philabundance blog
Sponsors who have already pledged their generous support of Hunger Action Month include:
- Walmart, which raised $75,000 for Philabundance through the company’s Fight Hunger.Spark Change. campaign and will have 30 employees volunteer to pack and sort food.
- Temple University, which, in conjunction with 6abc, is holding The Great Food Fight, a month-long food drive whose goal is to raise 3,000 pounds of food / provide 3,000 meals.
- Safelite AutoGlass, which will match every $1 donated up to $2,500 from September 1- September 15.
- Greenblatt, Pierce, Engle, Funt & Flores, LLC will match every $1 donated up to $2,500 from September 16- September 30.
- Schmear It bagel truck will provide a percentage of proceeds to Philabundance from September 1-14.
- The Smokey Pint will donate $1 of every meal sold at its food truck at Philabundance’s Hunger Relief Center at 3616 Galloway Street on September 1, and $1 for every meal sold at its restaurant from September 2-30.
Throughout Hunger Action Month those facing hunger can visit www.philabundance.org or call 215-339-0900 to find food for themselves or for their family.