Taste of Spring: Market Vegetable Salad
Thanks to our friends at The Treemont, a new American restaurant in Rittenhouse Square, you can get a taste of spring by making this Market Vegetable Salad. Chef de Cuisine Rob Sidor shares, “We go to farmer’s markets (Headhouse Square, Rittenhouse Square) throughout spring and summer to put the best seasonal produce” in front of their diners. Below is just one of many ways to work some green into your spring meals.
Market Vegetable Salad, Young Lettuces, Champagne + Pine Nut Vinaigrette (serves 3-4 people)
Market Vegetable Salad
1each beet, shaved
1ea radish, shaved
2ea green asparagus, cut 1″, blanched
2ea white asparagus, cut 1″, blanched
8ea baby carrots
1/2 cup english peas, blanched
1/2 cup fava beans, blanched
1 cup, lettuce
1 head, radicchio
1 bunch red or green watercress
- Mix all ingredients in a large serving bowl.
Champagne and Pine Nut Vinaigrette
1 cup pine nuts
1 cup hot water
2ea egg yolks
1 T Dijon mustard
1/4 cup champagne vinegar
2 cups vegetable oil
4 T honey
Salt and pepper to taste
- Pour the hot water over the pine nuts and let steep for one hour.
- Puree the water and pinenuts in a blender on high speed for one minute. Strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer; discard solids and reserve the liquid “pine nut milk.”
- Place the egg yolks, champagne vinegar, Dijon, honey, and chilled pine nut milk in the blender. With the blender running on medium speed, slowly drizzle in the vegetable oil until it is completely emulsified.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Assembling the Salad
- Dress the vegetables and lettuces with the desired amount of Champagne and Pine Nut Vinaigrette, salt and pepper.