Winning Cupcake Recipe for Your July 4th
Let the Blue J’s put the blue in your red, white, and blue BBQ! Their “Nutty New England Nosh” cupcake recipe stole the (cup)cake at this year’s Cupcake Smash and is sure to be a crowd-pleaser at your own 4th of July bash.
Team: Blue J’s Cupcakes
Winning Cupcake: Nutty New England Nosh
Years participating in Cupcake Smash: 5
About Blue J’s: We’re two good friends who enjoy creating and executing recipes, especially desserts. The dream is to have a business: Blue J’s Baked Greats.
Why Cupcake Smash? We are both natural competitors who love to flex our creative muscles. It’s a lot of time, money and effort, but the opportunity to compete against so many talented bakers in the name of such a great cause is too good to resist.
Blue J’s Nutty New England Nosh Recipe
Walnut Streusel Ingredients
- 1 1⁄4 cups packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter, cut in small pieces
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped (you can toast them too, if desired)
- In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar, sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt.
- Add in the cold butter, squeezing the pieces by hand to fully mix.
- Cover and freeze while you prepare the cupcakes.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened but still cool
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Add the butter, sour cream, eggs and vanilla; mix until the batter is smooth.
- Fill each prepared baking cup 1/3 of the way full with the batter.
- Remove the streusel from the freezer and evenly sprinkle onto each cupcake.
- Place more batter on top of the streusel until the cup is 2/3 full.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes (or if an inserted toothpick comes out clean).
It’s all about the icing, right? The Blue J’s use a home-made Brown Butter Cream Cheese frosting with a delicious maple drizzle, but to keep it quick and simple for your party we suggest using your favorite store-bought brand. If you’re feeling nutty, don’t forget to sprinkle walnuts onto the frosting as a final 4th of July touch!