National Volunteer Week celebrates the impact of volunteer service at Philabundance and spotlights some of our most dedicated volunteers over the last year.
1. Please tell me about your role as a volunteer with Philabundance. What do you do?
We both worked at the relief center and Produce Rescue at the Wholesale Market. We sorted food donations, did Senior boxes, unloaded trucks, sorted meat and produce, made/broke down boxes, rescued produce at the produce market, and other things as assigned.
2. Why do you choose to volunteer with Philabundance?
We like the programs, and enjoy meeting and working with other volunteers and staff. We appreciate how Philabundance is organized.
3. What’s your favorite memory from your time volunteering at Philabundance?
Being there when the produce rescue topped one million pounds of rescued produce from being wasted.
4. What do you think other people interested in volunteering at Philabundance should know about our programs?
The far-reaching impact the services have on the 9-county area food deprived, warrants any volunteering an interested person can do. The work is so satisfying.
5. Philabundance’s mission is to relieve hunger now and end hunger for good. How do you think we, as a community, can end hunger?
Bring hunger out into the open more, publicize the causes, and develop the infrastructure to get excess food to the people needing it. Not necessarily easy.